- Travel to Baan Tong Luang, a government sponsored Hill Tribe cultural preservation village where you can visit with five different cultures. Watch them go about their daily life, grow rice, feed their cattle, weave, cook...and perhaps the children would enjoy getting to know how to use a traditional hill tribe bow and arrow. This is a working village that is spread out and doesn't give you the "tourist bus" feeling that you would get if you visited the Long Neck encampment located in Chiang Mai. The villagers do not get "in your face" asking you to purchase anything that they make here.
- Visit the Hill Tribe Museum where you will be able to view many artifacts of several different tribes.
- Lunch at a small, traditional Northern Thai neighborhood restaurant. You will most likely be the only farang there - other than your guide, Paul Collins.
- Visit the Sankampang Cottage industry area where you will be able to pick and choose from a small family owned lacquer ware cottage (no big tour bus found here!) celadon, silk from the worm to the finish product, umbrella village where everything is made by hand from start to finish, wood carving village.
- Visit the ruins of Wiang Kum Kam the former capitol of the Lanna Kingdom that pre-dates Chiang Mai's over 700 year old history.
- We will be dropped-off at the Shangri-la between 4:30 - 5:00pm
Evening: Dinner at The Spirit House
- 4, Viangbua Rd, Chang Puak, Chiang Mai (opposite Viangbua Mansion) - Telephone: 66 (0)84 803436 - recommended by Marie (nannyre) on Trip Advisor - owner Steve.