Good company on a journey makes the way seem shorter” ~ Izaak Walton
Welcome to our travel itinerary for our 2013 trip to Mainland China.
This is a short synopsis of our travels between the 21st of August [which is not coincidentally our Wedding Anniversary] and the 15th of September, 2013; where: on our departure from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport with Emirates to KLIA, a stop-over then on to Hong Kong; Guangzhou; Xi'an; Beijing; Qingdao; and, Shanghai and take in Singapore before returning home... so initially we...
- Stay a couple of nights at the Putrajaya Shangrila and do a bit of shopping in KL.
- We then fly with Malaysia Airlines to Hong Kong and stay at the Island Shangri-la for four nights before...
- Boarding the Kitt Train at Hong Hum Station in Kowloon to travel to Guangzhou on the mainland for a three night stay at the Shangri-la.
- The rest of our travelling in Mainland China will be on the 'bullet trains' staying for three nights in Xi'an; Beijing; Qingdao; and, Shanghai with accommodation exclusively with Shangri-La (I guess you could say we really love this hotel chain).
- We'll board the famed Maglev high-speed train (430+kph) to take us to Pudong International Airport to fly with Singapore Airlines to Singapore and stay another three nights at (you guessed it) Shangri-La, Singapore.
- We'll catch the EK404 back to Melbourne late Saturday night and arrive back on Sunday morning.
To read about our last, short trip in February, for Chinese New Year, go to: 2013 A - Singapore | Thailand | Myanmar| Malaysia
- Interactive Map: A 'live' map of our itinerary, relevant to each stage of our journey, can be found on most pages - including this one - simply zoom-in, zoom-out and click on an icon for more information;
- Itinerary & Information: an area of the website in the format of an Agenda with links to Dates; Locations and Accommodation Properties: There, you'll find further information on Culture & Sightseeing, Emergency, Getting Around, Money, Shopping, Street Food / Restaurants,Transportation, and, et cetera, that may be of interest during our stay in that city or region:
- 2012 Travel Blog: a link to our diary that will be updated as we travel around Java, Kalimantan Tangah, Sabah, Sarawak & KL, including daily videos and slide shows of the photos we've taken;
- No matter where you are within the site: a very useful Search Engine is located to the right of the header on each page - just type in a keyword or phrase and you'll find what you're after.
- Credits are due to many very helpful persons and websites - especially the members / contributors of TripAdvisor, particularly its very informative and knowledgeable Destination Experts - and, given the available time-frame for the trip our itinerary would not have been as inclusive without access to these resources.
... as well as, read our reviews on TripAdvisor