"Good company on a journey makes the way seem shorter” ~ Izaak Walton
to our travel itinerary for our 2012
trip to South East Asia.
This is a short synopsis of our travels between the 21st of August [which is not coincidentally our Wedding Anniversary] and the 11th of September, 2012; where: on our departure from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport with Emirates to KLIA, we will fly over 8000Kms around Java, Kalimantan, Sabah, Sarawak, Peninsular Malaysia - it does seem that we're unnecessarily flying double the miles than we should to get around Borneo which is not really ecologically or economically friendly; if only a direct flight path were available from Palangkaraya to either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ then, we take in Singapore before returning home... so initially we...
- Transfer to Malaysian Airlines at KLIA for our flight to Jakarta staying at the Shangri-La Hotel, Jakarta, spending the next few days discovering Old Batavia.
- We then fly with Lion Air to Palangkaraya in Kalimantan Tengah (Central Kalimantan) on Borneo staying at the Rungan Sari Resort close to the Nyaru Menteng Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre with the view to inspecting the good works done by the Borneo Orangutan Survival (BOS) Team and, hopefully, a glimpse of Wigly - the baby orangutan we adopted earlier this year.
- Returning to Jakarta with Lion Air, we immediately fly to Kota Kinabalu via KLIA with MAS and stay, first at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort (for more orangutans) and then, the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru with forays into KK and a bit of Sabah interior exploration - Tuaran Town, Gunung Kinabalu, etc.
- We fly to Kuching with MAS Wings, touching-down at Bintulu on the way and stay at our favourite Sarawak accommodation: The Lime Tree Hotel.
- Flying MAS to Kuala Lumpur and Traders Hotel for two nights... more shopping and dining.
- Saturday afternoon we'll take a flight to Singapore for a couple of days of indulgence in the Valley Wing of the Shangri-La, Singapore.
- We'll catch the EK404 back to Melbourne late Monday night and arrive in time for Tuesday morning's peak-hour traffic
- Interactive Map: A 'live' map of our itinerary, relevant to each stage of our journey, can be found on most pages - including this one - simply zoom-in, zoom-out and click on an icon for more information;
- Itinerary & Information: an area of the website in the format of an Agenda with links to Dates; Locations and Accommodation Properties: There, you'll find further information on Culture & Sightseeing, Emergency, Getting Around, Money, Shopping, Street Food / Restaurants,Transportation, and, et cetera, that may be of interest during our stay in that city or region:
- 2012 Travel Blog: a link to our diary that will be updated as we travel around Java, Kalimantan Tangah, Sabah, Sarawak & KL, including daily videos and slide shows of the photos we've taken;
- No matter where you are within the site: a very useful Search Engine is located to the right of the header on each page - just type in a keyword or phrase and you'll find what you're after.
- Credits are due to many very helpful persons and websites - especially the members / contributors of TripAdvisor, particularly its very informative and knowledgeable Destination Experts - and, given the available time-frame for the trip our itinerary would not have been as inclusive without access to these resources.
... as well as, read our reviews on TripAdvisor